What are strategy games?
Strategy video games are games that require strategical approach and mindset. The player is not held by the hand and told what to do next when playing the game and is stimulated to think carefully about choices and approach. Think of working out a plan of attack or defense. Most strategy games are available on PC.
The history of computer strategy games goes back to board games. When the genre took the leap to consoles and computer, it was already well-known amongst gamers. The first games were often direct copies of original board games transformed into a digital game.
What are some well-known strategy games?
Seeing as the genre has been around for a long time, many new strategic video games have been released since then. A few classics are Age of Empires, Warcraft, The Settlers and Command & Conquer. Tetris is also a classic strategy game that requires you to plan ahead and strategically place blocks.
Although many old games are still being played and are even getting new additions, some room was made for more modern games in the genre. Popular strategy games of this time are, for example, Surviving Mars, Valkyria Chronicles and BattleTech.
What kind of subgenres do strategic games have?
Strategy games can be divided into several subgenres, such as:
- 4X – strategic games in which the player has control over an empire and follows the 4 x's: explore, expand, exploit, exterminate;
- Real-time strategy (RTS) – unlike strategic games in which you decide your playing time and the game ‘pauses’ until you start playing again, time is continuous in RTS games;
- MMORTS – also known as massively multiplayer online real-time strategy games, a combination of RTS and online games that are played by a lot of people at the same time;
- MOBA – in multiplayer online battle arena games you have control over one of the characters within a team and the objective is to destroy the enemies fortress;
- Tower Defense – as the name says, in Tower Defense games you have to make sure your enemies cannot reach you by strategically placing defense towers.
Does the video game genre Strategy sound like something you would like? Take a look at our collection of strategy games.