Super Mario Party
Back to the beginningDo you know that the Mario Party series has been around for 20 years? Yes, it has been that long! The very first Mario Party was released in 1998 for the Nintendo 64; at the time a successful game console because of its unique shape and controller. This console was also one of the first to introduce a 4-player split screen. Back then, Nintendo had been around for 10 years, and after creating memorable arcade and 8-bit games, gamers were pleasantly surprised to get a board game platform with minigames. Especially since it meant they could play as their favourite characters, like: Wario, Luigi, Princess Peach, Yoshi, Donkey Kong and of course Mario himself. It has already been several years since Mario Party 10 came out, which was the last addition to this series. After more than 3 years fans can finally revisit the gameplay of this beloved board game for the first time on the Nintendo Switch.
A complete refreshNintendo has described Super Mario Party as a “complete relaunch”, and is apparently bringing back many original elements from older instalments in this series. Four local players will navigate a linear board game based on the scores they ‘punch’ out of a Dice Block at the start of each turn. Every Space on the board will have a specific purpose; you can get 3 coins, lose 3 coins, face off against Bowser, play a minigame and so on. The coins you collect throughout the game can be used to buy items to help yourself or to hurt others, but most importantly, the main purpose of the game is to get the most Stars out of all the players. The host of the Star Space in Super Mario Party is Toadette, and she will sell a Star to you for 10 coins. After giving out a Star, she will move to a different location on the board. Just like in older Mario Party games, a minigame to win coins will be played after all 4 players have had their turn.
New game modesThere will be several game modes that you can play in Super Mario Party. So far, besides the traditional Party Mode, the following have been confirmed:
- Partner Mode: two players team-up against one another.
- Toad's Rec Room: multi-screen environment, requires 2 Switch consoles and 2 copies of the game.
- River Survival: co-op mode where four players paddle an inflatable boat to the finish before time runs out.
- Mario-thon: compete in a tournament and win the most minigames.
- Online Mario-thon: players compete in five randomly selected minigames for the highest score.
- Minigames: play unlocked minigames.
It’s-a me, Mario!
As mentioned before, some of the best characters from the Marioverse will return as playable characters in Super Mario Party. You will be able to play with 16 characters, and there are 4 more to unlock during the game:
- Playable: Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach, Princess Daisy, Wario, Waluigi, Yoshi, Rosalina, Bowser, Goomba, Shy Guy, Koopa Troopa, Monty Mole, Bowser JR., Boo en Hammer Bro.
- Unlockable: Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Dry Bones en Pom Pom.